PLEASE PROMOTE THIS LINK . . . MABUHAY MHSIANS!! PLEASE PROMOTE THIS LINK . . . MABUHAY MHSIANS!! PLEASE CONTRIBUTE ARTICLES AND SEND TO royal_database@yahoo.com

Monday, December 22, 2008

Gingerbread house


Last year, my youngest Isabella, and I started a tradition of making a gingerbread house for Christmas. I’ve never made a gingerbread house before nor did I possess the interest. I was just forced to make one because I entered a gingerbread house contest in the office and that was because there were only very few people who wanted to do it.

Anyway, long story short, Isabella and I ended up making our first gingerbread house last year. Because it was our first time, I thought that we were better off buying a kit. I went to A.C. Moore and bought 3 boxes at $10 each. I thought I’d buy extras in case we mess up. Before going to the store, I also looked online to get some ideas on how to decorate our house and what candies to use.

It was nerve-racking the first time I tried to glue the pieces together. My hands were shaking. As a first-timer, I should have allotted more time to plan and construct my house. However, the procrastinator that I am, I waited until the day before the entry was due. I couldn’t get the right consistency of the frosting. The pieces kept falling apart. My vision to create a majestic Victorian house slowly became bleak. At that point, I just wanted to get something done for submission.

On my second box of the house, I slowly got the hang of it. Finally, I was able to build the house and got ready to decorate it. The decorating was easier and I let Isabella helped. We used red swirly candy creme life saver candies on the roof, air head strips for the doors and windows, and jelly beans and gum drops for decoration. We also made pink frosting and kind of painted the walls pink. I think that the pink frosting made the difference.

We did not win last year but it gave us a feeling of accomplishment. This year, we entered the contest again and we were more confident. I used the left over box from last year but bought new candies. We started way ahead of time – a couple of days before the entry was due. We used cinnamon gum sticks for the roof, golden graham cereal for the walls, twizzler for the door, graham crackers for the porch, a round green mint candy for decor, milk duds as pebbles, ice cream cones with green frosting as Christmas trees, and jelly beans for ornaments. Isabella and I really enjoyed making it this year! Even though we did not win again, we were still thrilled with our creation and we’re looking forward to doing it again in the years to come.

No comments: