PLEASE PROMOTE THIS LINK . . . MABUHAY MHSIANS!! PLEASE PROMOTE THIS LINK . . . MABUHAY MHSIANS!! PLEASE CONTRIBUTE ARTICLES AND SEND TO royal_database@yahoo.com

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Keeping Us from Harm’s Way


As Featured On Ezine Articles


When I was a child, I speak, think and reasoned as a child. Now that I have reached the right age, I have relinquished my childish ways. (1 Cor. 13: 11)

This passage reminds me of my son’s diatribe against the way I’m raising him. He told his mother; “Daddy doesn’t love me” during their hearty discourse prompted by a decision of not allowing him to go out one Friday evening. I must admit that my son’s statement pierced my heart so deep that having it all said while I’m thousands of miles away from home trying to earn a living for the family. Certainly, I couldn’t blame him for having such kind of thinking. I once had the same kind of resentment against my father when I was a child. But now, having a family of my own, I realized that I have been unfair to my father whose only concern is to keep me from harm’s way.

I once had a thought that if I can only fast-track the passing of times, perhaps my son could easily discern between chastise and love, of freedom and responsibility and right from wrong. Maybe, this could also be what my father had wished of me back then. However, I believed that one’s maturity is shaped by its gradual understanding of life in general experienced through life in different stages. However, I believed likewise that it’s an elder’s own experiences in life that gives them moral ascendancy in discerning things wisely. It’s perhaps where this saying was taken: “Papunta ka pa lang, pabalik na ako.” (I’m on my way back while you’re still on your way there)

Even we adults sometimes show certain level of immaturity in our ways and thinking as if we failed to take-off completely from our inner childhood. We despised the Lord’s way of discipline. We scorned God when He’s only concern is to keep us from sin that long separates us from Him. We call others hypocrites when all they’re after are offer their unsolicited counsel of years. We always hate to be disciplined and always yearning for freedom and right to live our life; our ways and not His. It is our stubbornness at times that put us in harm’s way.

Lest we forget that God disciplines the one he loves and chastises every child He accepts. We must all endure sufferings for being disciplined for God is treating us all as His children. For what son is there that a father does not discipline? But if you don’t experience discipline, something all sons have shared in, then you are illegitimate and are not sons. Discipline seems painful at time and not joyful. But later it produces the fruit of peace and righteousness for those trained by it.

The completion of the role of all parents comes when they’re assured of their children’s future; not only here on earth but also in heaven. Securing this future entails lots of sacrifice and patience on the part of parents and often times in exchange of their own happiness. As a parent, I realized one thing; that the sum of my entire being is I’m needed by my family. Happiness comes more from loving than being loved. To love and to be hurt and to love again; in the same way as our Father in heaven had shown us.

No comments: